Friday, March 23, 2007

Bateson again

Once I was very interested I cybernetics and the application of this approach to the human sciences. I read Bateson and liked his high flying ideas. He uses his concepts and principles all over the place, from cells via human communication to evolution. It’s full of insight and very far out. If you are curious about cybernetics, The principia Cybernetica page is a nice place to start.

I don’t know if any of that will help me now, but there is hope of using some of the ideas in discussing socio cultural theories of participation. At least I think so. Jay Lemke shares many of his interesting thoughts one his pages (a lot of drafts and some finished work of his is there). He seems willing to go beyond the “blind man and stick” analogy in applying Batesonian theory to research on Internet communication and learning conditions in the knowledge/information society.

Bateson’s learning theory is especially interesting here. Yrjö Engeström saw this in the early 80’s, but it is somewhat swallowed by the activity theory and ends up losing it´s biological aspects. But things may change

No comments: